Our team of dental experts at LandMark Dentistry works hard to save your natural tooth whenever possible. Although losing a tooth may not be ideal, in certain cases, tooth extraction or the removal of a tooth is the best solution to maintain your oral health.
We believe that every tooth extraction doesn’t have to be traumatic to our patients. It’s our goal to deliver your tooth extraction as painless as possible.
What dental issues require a tooth extraction?
Your oral health becomes at risk when a tooth becomes problematic and may affect your overall health. A tooth extraction becomes necessary when:
- Severe tooth decay is beyond repair and can no longer be treated with fillings or root canal.
- Overcrowded teeth affect an orthodontic treatment like braces.
- Damaged tooth where the crack has reached the vital part of the tooth(pulp) making it irreparable.
- Loosened teeth due to an infection affecting the bone structure of periodontal disease patients.
Wisdom Teeth Removal
Some development of impacted wisdom teeth affects the neighboring teeth causing pain, infection and, crooked alignment of teeth. When impacted wisdom teeth become problematic, tooth extraction would be the best solution.
Tooth Extraction Process
Our dental team evaluates the condition of the patient’s tooth and decides which procedure would suit them best. There are two kinds of tooth extraction procedure. These include:
- Simple extraction is an approach when the extraction only requires local anesthesia because of the clear visibility of the teeth.
- Oral surgery is considered for complex dental cases where the tooth is impacted or stuck in the gums.
Surgical extraction may require a high-level of sedation to keep the patient free from both pain and stress.
Tooth Extraction Recovery
Our LandMark dental team will secure the affected area with a gauze pad. Afterwhich, we’ll recommend the aftercare tips:
- Keep the gauze pad in for 3 – 4 hours post-extraction.
- Take the prescribed painkillers and antibiotics.
- Avoid spitting, rinsing your mouth or, drinking from a straw to avoid disrupting the optimal healing process.
- Apply a cold compress for no longer than 10 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with a saltwater solution the next day.
- Avoid smoking.
- Keep brushing and flossing your teeth, but avoid cleaning the affected area.
Teeth Replacement Solutions
LandMark Dentistry believes that the world will get by when everyone smiles. Once you’re done with your tooth extraction we’ll give you the following options to restore your smile:
How LandMark Dentistry Can Help
Our team of dental experts aims to give every patient the safest, comfortable and pain-free tooth extraction. LandMark Dentistry provides tooth extraction services in our Charlotte, Matthews, Wesley Chapel, and Mallard Creek location. Learn more about this dental service by calling us or request a free extraction consultation here.